Ever made an intricate diagram in a Google Doc only to find it hopelessly pixellated when you print it?
It seems Google take the nice vector image you’ve created and render it as a 600 pixel wide bitmap. That’s always going to look bad in print.
After a document I was writing got bitten by this, I figured out a way to fix it. You do need a little familiarity with HTML, so here goes:
1. Go to Edit -> Edit HTML
2. Find the img tag which corresponds to the image you want to modify, it will look like this:
3. That URL can be modified to return an image wider than 600px with more detail in it. So triple it and set the w and h parameters to 1800
Now this image would be too big for the page, so we add a width=”600″ attribute so that Google docs makes it fit the page width
4. Job done! You should see the improvement on screen and in print!
Using Google Docs is like torturing yourself. I tried it, but i quit.